Re: [microsound] public space vs McDisney

> > There are so many possible reasons.  The US is such a spread out car-based
> > culture with very little sense of public space.
> % when I travel in Europe I notice this immediately...I tend to spend much
> more time outdoors there than I do here in the US...this doesn't mean hiking
> in the woods but walking in the city, spending time in outdoor cafe's,
> hanging out in public squares/plaza's, walking in parks, etc...there isn't
> as much of a tendency to 'nest' there as there is in the US...

Oddly I feel like both of these things can be explained in terms of space.  As empty space is at a premium in europe, I think it is appreciated more, or at leawst differently.  Our lack of walking and subsidizing of gas started because cars were a good way to span long distances.  There was some political manuvering to destroy the rail system in the US, but either way - now the car is in control.

Thus, in europe, as public places are more important, they are treated differently.  You need more public parks because peoples homes and backyards are smaller.  The nest isn't as comfurtable there.  I feel the same thing living in NY compared to my rural vermont upbringing.  Fortunately Greenpoint, Brooklyn has many parks.

> %% and I also find the 'fringe music' scenes in Europe (e.g.,
> electronic/computer music, avant-jazz, modern classical, new music, world,
> etc) to be thriving more than here...

Same idea!  People tend to be introduced to avant/alternative music through friends.  Although we often communicate through email, myself and many others were turned on by one on one social activity.  In the united states we can force more levels of mediation, fences in ourback yards, television we watch - in planned communities you can even write private agreements that no ones house will have too much personality.  No clothes lines, children's playgrounds/pools or even a basketball hoop!

Cut off - we can erect barriers than prevent unknown influences from infiltrating our lives - and unless your parents were fluxists, you're going to have to get introduced to the underground from an ourside source.  Private schools, MTV, family friendly websites, house in the suburbs - how exactly is the unexpected going to come in?  How can you be introduced to something you may not know you like, if you chose your barriers (filters/mediation points) based on what you already want?  In europe things are pack tighter, more local, and are built around communities.  In europe you come face to face with more people, converse with more different people, and what do you know?  People like alternatives - once they are presented!

Of course the net is changing everything, and independant labels don't seem to be suffering for it!

Rob