Re: [microsound] Silence But Louder

On Apr 24, 2004, at 11:28 PM, Dale Lloyd wrote:

That aside, one release that contains tracks using sounds that are inaudible to the average human ear would be by *0 (Nosei Sakata) entitled 0.000. There is also an audible test tone track at the beginning and end of the disc. And yes, it was pressed on a "professionally pressed CD." Big deal.

Reminds me of an interesting artifact of importing a Ryoji Ikeda CD. The track '+ / -' off of the CD of the same name is one very high pitched tone, clocking in at ~ 1:05. When imported to MP3 (I can't remember the settings), the track was silence.

In other 'commercial pressings', silence is used on some meditation CDs.

http://www.holisticshop.co.uk/GeneratedProducts/MUNEOSNM.asp

In iTunes Music Store,
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum? playlistId=4340413

Personally, I've been enjoying either just the native sounds of my environment {and became rather curious about its sounds without me, the basis for the upcoming 'apt.' Eucci release}, or just mild augmentations with either field recordings of other environments {Time Stereo's 'Weeds' has been a favorite}, subtle electro-acoustics, or both {Hafler Trio's 'Dislocation' cassette being a long favorite here}.

I could *potentially* see placing an album like 0.000 in the middle of a playlist of more active albums for a long day spent reading, bathing, writing, thinking, as a spacer {so that after its duration, the other sounds kick up again}. But I'm really more interested in coming across tracks and recordings that seem like silence, but are in fact such tones or volumes as to escape casual notice {the end of the rare recent His Name Is Alive instrumental album, 'Brown Rice', fits in here}. There's a small bit of personal joy that comes from discovering such moments. 'Is it silent?' 'No, just quiet'

Then, like Southern Rock, one has to turn it up.

--
J.Shell for Eucci
http://euc.cx/laa/