Re: [microsound] linux newbie stuff [WAS:puff 'n stuff]

On 6 Apr 2004, at 05:19, ag@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:25:18 +0200, derek@xxxxxxx wrote:
 How does Ardour stack up at this point?

I've been using the ardour-gtk (currently 0.9beta11.2-2) package in Debian for
a while, and apart from my personal opinions on their interface (it's pretty
unusable) and the fact Jack drops a lot of frames with my setup, it works
well for mixing down projects and using LADSPA plugins.

Comparing it with Cubase or Protools is pretty pointless seeing as they're
much more mature projects. That's not to say you couldn't use it
professionally. The February issue of Sound on Sound had an excellent
article about a studio that uses Linux for mixing and mastering. The article
covers their use of Ardour and JAMin (mastering software).

Here's a quote from the article:

"I actually have three PCs in my studio: one running Pro Tools, one running
Gigastudio, and a third running Gentoo Linux with JACK. The Pro Tools
machine sends everything destined for speakers over its ADAT interface.
It's received by the Linux box, and routed to my external D-A and on to my
studio monitors by JACK. Additionally, 16 channels of Gigastudio audio are
received by JACK, along with eight external audio inputs, mixed together as
needed and forwarded on to Pro Tools by the HDSP 9652."

Mirror Image Studios' website is here:

http://www.multitrack.us/

--
homepage: http://alex.bash.sh