Re: [microsound] On promo

> A mailing list is a community, and I think that posting advertisements
> and self-promotion is a priviledge, not a right, in a community like
> that. If the sum total of your message to this community is "come to my
> show, buy my CD", that isn't much different than the way that the major
> labels market their crap. And I'd rather not hear it.

> But I do enjoy seeing what the people who add some light to this list
> are up to in their lives and work. I guess it's just a matter for your
> own conscience...

This list group is like a broken record when it comes to this topic! Unfortunately, people like myself who spend a good amount of their free time and money working on and promoting other people's music and not getting paid for it (so I would say that we are not like major labels), don't have a lot of time to sit around and wax poetic or philosophic about a genre of music via e-mail. That is all fine and dandy for those of you who do. But please realize that everyone is doing their part in keeping relatively obscure music alive. I feel that people on this list group who constantly complain about promo e-mails are in danger of damning the same music they pretend to support.

Kim stated that he didn't want to see "crossposting" which he regards as being blanket e-mails that are CC'd to various list groups at the same time. If people use that guideline, then they should be ok.

I try to interact when I can, but on my end of things what I find to be twenty times more annoying is when people keep complaining about pertinent promo posts, not to mention "chat room e-mails" consisting of little quips like "yep, me too." that add to the 40-50+ .microsound emails that fill up my mail box everyday. At least a certain portion of the promo e-mails are INFORMATIVE. In fact, I have a list of promo e-mails that I intend to visit when I have time, including one from Phil Thomson. So, I'm not trying to condemn .microsound chat, I'm just trying to say: keep things in perspective regarding the .macro scheme of things.

Best, Dale