Re: [microsound] re: on working methods for live performance

theres a video of a Canadian dj doing a live set somewhere on this hd, and its great .. because you can see him move and work and he's really working his ass off .. atrak is the name i think .. he's useing a phrase sampler and playing bits of records recording it- playing it on repeat and then layering more, sometimes scratching to make his layers, doing all kinds of things .. but he's doing them .. for most of us .. what the hell are we doing .. i know that when i work on a song .. by the time its a song, ive recorded and played many many different parts .. and if i were to do this in a live setting .. well i would either need a few extra sets of arms or a whole bunch of friends along with me to help .. and this obviously isnt much of an option for many reasons .. soo i dont really see much of a solution to the problem of engaging the audience through ones activity, there simply isnt anything to do .. now i run ableton and can play with my loops all day long, but what they see is just pressing a couple of buttons everyonce in a while, yet they hear the filters swirl they hear all the mad synths ect .. so naturally they would assume that the computer is doing all the work, which is pretty much true. i think its just the nature of the live laptop performance .. our act is fundamentally flawd when we consider it in the terms of any other live performance.  i mean, we could come up with an outrageous max/msp patch that somehow creates idm while we feed it samples or something, but i dont own max so forget about it hehehe. what we can do is get multipul outputs and send our audio through em and out to hardware effects that we can really get ourr hands on .. i think that if were adjusting the sends, tweaking effects people can SEE, we have a bit more of a chance at convincing them were really makeing music, not just playing it .. the only problem then becomes buying enough gear so we arnt just useing the same effects over different things over and over again ..  maybe this is old news, but its really about the only way i can think up a decent live set .. even if it means the core of the music is coming from the computer, i can still add all those extra subtle sounds, and it at least looks like im doing something, cause hell if youve got enough to tweek, then youll be rushing all around the stage trying to get shit done, which really is entertaining.