Re: [microsound] Re: on working methods for live performance

For me as an audience member, the turnoff behind
laptop performance isn't the lack of showiness. It's
the gradual loss of faith that what you're hearing is
being created "live". Watching a laptop performer, you
don't really know to what degree he's creating the
music in real time. He might be just hitting "play" on
some audio file or automated process, or he might not
be. You don't know. I feel the same way about
instrument players who use prerecorded tracks and drum
machine programs as background for solos.

When I hear the laptop performer interacting with the
environment in some way, whether it's responding to
other musicians in a group, or processing the sounds
from an open microphone (like Lance Grabmiller does in
several shows), I really enjoy it.

However, I did see a really performative laptop show a
few months ago where the musician danced around like
Richard Simmons and tapped a key on his computer every
8 measures. That did nothing for me.