Re: [microsound] Re: on working methods for live performance

how can you differentiate between music and performance? it's the same
thing. performance is not merely  restricted to visual input, to the
so-called gestural theatre (god i fucking hate that term). one can
certainly listen to a performance with one's eye closed, right?  the
question is whether anything is actually being performed, the extent to
which the music is being performed. performance implies control, a control
over the parameters of  music through time. i think the critique is
generally about how much control an artist has over their music and to
what extent is the music automated. if i were to substitute a drum machine
for a drummer because the sound of automation is something i desire, i'd
like to make up for that loss of control in tonal controls, equalization,
filtering, spontaneous rearrangement... in this sense i have performance
parameters in my control that a drummer would not necessarily have - and
vice versa. in this sense, my instrument is the mixing board, not the drum
kit. but i still perform an instrument.  most laptop artists suffer from
the same attacks that DJs had initially been bombarded by - does clicking
'play' constitute a valid performance? if i want to hear a record, i'll
'play' it myself. if an artist 'plays' live, they better play live. the
aura of having the composer stand behind their work, the glow of the
screen illuminating them, does very little for me, despite it's obvious
futuristic implications.  there are plenty of DJs who are bullshit. there
are plenty of laptop artists that are bullshit as well.  i think the
audience deserves some kind pipeline into the artistic process.  they
deserve to know what is and more importantly what isn't being performed.
at least, i do. this may seem incredibly conservative, but nobody, outside
of this small circle of microsounders, is going to a give a shit about
some geek twiddling a reactor patch with an infrared beam. anyone, who has
played an acoustic instrument knows the extent of control a master
musician has over their instrument. it's as nimble as spoken language. i'm
not suggesting that laptop music won't reach this state of telepathic
control - it will - it's just no where near there yet, despite the very
cool and very futuristic toys that coming out. we are heading in the right
direction - it's just a long road ahead.

graham.