Re: [microsound] flower power

Christopher Sorg;

> > the end result would pose the question wether the plant in question is
> making music,
> > expressing pain or merely conducting electrons and soundwaves.....
>
> Well, that is an interesting question.  I suppose it depends on whether
> you are passively collecting data or actively shuttling or conducting
> data through the plant.  In the case of a passive "read", it's more like
> we're expanding our senses (or shifting the output of other data into
> our sensory realm) in order to see/hear/comprehend that which we don't
> normally detect.

Personally i feel that the amount of influence by the plant would affect
this as much as the actions by the experimenter (or composer) would. If it´s
true (as my link claimed) that plants react to threatning gestures then they
might also react to sounds, for example the ones projected through them by
this new method. If they do react to anything then i think it´s quite likely
that conecting them in electrical currents will get some kind of reaction.
That would likely be a rather negative one.

What this might idealy result in is the kind of feedback loop modern
musician is in; one of listening and based on this adjusting the sound,
albeit without a conciousness or a intention behind it. I remember reading
some research on the conductivity of plants in reaction to stimuly a few
years back but needless to say such research will very quickly get a
"new-agy feel" to it so perhaps all of this is whishfull thinking on my
side.

> I've got to get out of the city more often.

"composition for forest and laptop by C. Sorg." :¬)

Yours,
Kas.