RE: [microsound] flower power

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040720/od_uk_nm/ouk
oe_odd_japan_flowers

> that would go rather nicely with this;
> http://www.angelfire.com/music2/theanalogcottage/greenm.htm

Also goes quite well with Fujieda's "Patterns of Plants" (MIDI output
from plant patterns used for compositions).  And (if I do say so myself
;), my piece, "Spoken For" last year at the Cleveland Institute of Art.
Links from the show here,
http://www.cia.edu/galleries/reinberger/wywh.asp (large plant
installation in the back) and http://www.csorg.org/margasak.

There's a video of the installation available here (10mb):
http://www.csorg.org/margasak/video/Spoken_For.mpg

I used moisture sensors (gypsum blocks) and AC current with an A/D
convert and Pure Data to convert the information into sound.  I had to
write a new object that would do both input and output to the parallel
port, which (someday soon) I'll release for you PD fans.

> the end result would pose the question wether the plant in question is
making music,
> expressing pain or merely conducting electrons and soundwaves.....

Well, that is an interesting question.  I suppose it depends on whether
you are passively collecting data or actively shuttling or conducting
data through the plant.  In the case of a passive "read", it's more like
we're expanding our senses (or shifting the output of other data into
our sensory realm) in order to see/hear/comprehend that which we don't
normally detect.

Sort of reminds me of one of those Madeline L'Engle books, where they
travel into the mitochondria, and the "trees" speak to each other as
they sway.

I've got to get out of the city more often.

Christopher

     Christopher Sorg
   Multimedia Artist/Instructor
 The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
  Columbia College Chicago
   http://www.csorg.org
     csorg@xxxxxxxxx