RE: [microsound] (OT) Query about music systems

My favourites are Krell or Mark Levinson for amplification; Wadia or Mark
Levinson for CD transport and converter; Martin Logan electrostatic for
speakers.  In certain circumstances (and for some kinds of music), a good
valve amp (e.g. Jadis, Audionote) makes a difference, although a valve amp
usually does not go well with electrostatic speakers.  YMMV.  Listen
plentifully with CDs you know well and combine each component with every
other to see which matches work the best.  It is really a matter of personal
preference.  Measurements and technical details are useless.  It is
definitely worth it to spend about 20% of total price just on cables--it may
seem absurd to spend $4k on cables on a $20k system, but give it a try and
let your ears be the judge.

//P
http://www.interdisciplina.org/00.0/