Re: [microsound] Linux Audio List

If you consider it from a purely practical perspective, it may actually be best to have the following hierarchy:

OpenSourceSoftware
	CrossPlatform
	Linux
	MacOS
	Windows
	ContributingAndHacking

The reason I suggest this structure is that many people think 'I want to run software on my computer which runs on ..., what options do I have?' You may think having a topic for each OS is silly since some software runs on more than one of them. However, the software has different installation requirements, and these should be detailed on the wiki.

The ContributingAndHacking section is what I believe could be the most interesting. Contributing would give a general overview on how to participate in open source projects. If you're not a programmer you may not be aware of how to do this, but open source projects often need artists, musicians and translators. Hacking would be a brief guide on the technical side of working with open source projects to add new features.

While open source software is important in some respects, we shouldn't forget the importance of open standards. I use Mac OS X and Linux interchangeably professionally and at home because of open standards, and as a web developer I often have to justify the importance of open standards to colleagues and clients. I even (by choice!) purchase software I consider to be useful to me. There are several commercial products I love to use, just as there are synths I love too. I think it would be very nice to show users, especially new computer musicians, what commercial products can actually be used to create music with microsound techniques.

Therefore I suggest the addition of the following topics on the wiki in addition to the above:

CommercialSoftware
	Sequencers
	DAW
	Sampling
	Plug-ins
	etc...

CommercialHardware
	DSPCards
	Synths
	Effects

CommercialSoftware and CommercialHardware would give details on what products people are using to create microsound-related work.

OpenStandards
Animation - containing SVG, OpenML and probably a reference to ECMAScript
AudioEncoding - containing Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, etc
MathML - just because some users here will be interested in this

Licensing
	ChoosingALicense - choosing a license for your work
	GPL
	LGPL
	BSD
	CreativeCommons

**** A footnote on open standards: ****

In case you don't understand why I get worked up by open standards, consider this hypothetical scenario: A consumer buys a portable minidisc recorder. While this person doesn't demand a circuit diagram of how the device works, they expect it to work with their devices at home. When they get home they find they can't transfer recorded audio from the optical out to their computer that runs (something that isn't Windows.) I've seen this happen, and people just accept it!

--
homepage: http://alex.bash.sh/
music: http://noise.me.uk