Re: [microsound] Mac vs PC (linux information)

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 01:16:35 -0400, John Nowak <john_nowak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> My experience with PD on OS X hasn't been terribly good. It's known to
> be a bit shifty, as much of the focus goes to the Linux  and Windows
> platforms, as OS X users have had Max since the dawn of time. I must
> admit though, after shelling out for Max/MSP/Jitter, I'm not too
> interested in PD. ;-)

PD on Mac OS X also seems to suffer from Tk (I think that's the
toolkit it's using, isn't it?).  It's just terribly unnatural to OS X
users how the keyboard and other units will work.  A lot of these
so-called cross-platform UI toolkits seem to primarily focus on Linux
/ Windows style behaviors.  Which, given the general market share of
those platforms isn't surprising.  It's great that they work on Mac OS
X, and can be made to *look* somewhat native.  But they still don't
*feel* native, and that takes a lot of getting used to.  I think this
also limits PD's audience on the Mac.  And I think a lot of it is just
due to the UI toolkit being used.  It's great that it works though -
it's better than it not being an option.  And hopefully, these
toolkits behaviors on OS X will improve over time.

J.Shell for Eucci
http://euc.cx/