Re: [microsound] High sampling rates/Bit depths

Jan;

> There is no scientific research that shows humans to hear anything above
> 20khz so unless Nyquist has been broken all the 96/192 talk is just
> marketing. Manufacturers and dealers want to sell you new stuff.

Even if that´s true, I find it strange that in electronic music people
debate these matters as though we just record from some external source,
then replay the recording. Not that it´s not valid to be concerned about
recording and playback but in our world there are often a whole series of
operations in between. Anything that changes dynamics or pitch has the
potential to bring previously inaudible sounds within hearing range and so I
believe that we should take that into account when deciding on what format
suits us best.

A lot of the texts I´ve read on this and related subjects deal primarily
with relatively conventional settings such as recording bands and to a
lesser extend with electronic music, I don´t think we can simply aply the
dogma of a related but distinctly different field to what we do.

After a whole set of editing operations some artefacts *will* rise to the
surface, I think that to a large extend sample rate and depth will determine
wether those are artefacts from the source material or from the operations
performed on it. Both might be pleasing and so it´s up to the composer to
make a choice there.

.....Or so I think, but then again h.d. space is a factor for me too......

Yours,
Kas.