Re: [microsound] High sampling rates/Bit depths

I fully agree with you. I record on a separate system and I mostly use
external analog sources (but no bands and certainly no folk singers ;=))

But the simple way to handle what you require in a digital system is to
run the software synth at a higher rate and then downsample. This is
easily handled inside a plugin. You dont need to run the full system on
384khz or higher. I think most DSP-programmers agree with you that
softsynths is the application where higher sample rates make a useful
difference.

Of course this is as alaways a matter of presonal preference and what
priorities you make. For me the sound quality is more important - to
keep that powerful silky analog type sound quality as much as possible
through to the listener - and to do this I need all the power I can get
for mathematically correct handling (i.e. lots of dithering). So I
prefer to run at 48.

Sorry, if I sound a bit defintive. I just describe my personal
experience. I make no claim to know the truth ;=)

/Jan Larsson