Sv: [microsound] toplap_manifesto

I dont think a laptop is a complex beast - try writing software exclusively
in Intel assembly language for a living for a few years, it will bring you
much closer to the real nature of the beast.

But I agree that there is a focus on authoring. In fact in my opinion there
is way to much worrying and thinking when authoring, and this in an art-form
where any information on such meandering is completely lost when the music
reach the listener. Unless you include some kind of readable information (or
require they've read the same books as you have).

One interesting point that the toplappers make (on purpose or not) is that
the best user interface for music may not come from adding more layers of
software and some new kind of controller - from what I have seen so far they
all just add limitations.

Instead the optimal interface and creative freedom may come from removing a
lot of layers and abstractions and working closer with the processor/kernel
rather than trying to hide (obscure) it.

And you could avoid it becoming typing contest by using some presets. We
used to, in the early 90's, print out encoded MIDI data as barcodes sticking
the notes everywhere including on ourselves. Then use a couple of barcode
readers that could read at some distance. So by dancing about and 'shooting'
at the barcodes we controlled two fully loaded Akai samplers ..

/Jan L.