Re: [microsound] the great depression of experimental music?

(im posting this to the microsound list and the phonography list... as these are the two i find most productive...)

are we in the great depression of experimental music?

I would say that there is the same level of creativity among individuals, it's just a social restructuring that is taking place around the heirarchic social gathering and redistribution systems. IMHO, great music is not measured by the level of distribution it acquires through these social systems. It has its own intrinsic value if there is only one other person hearing it. so, I'd say your drought is in one of two areas -- one, that the 'traditional' social system of music redistribution is changing its parameters, which affects what you hear; and two, your own network of first-person contacts is shrinking perhaps? I don't think it's a problem -- actually, I've been able to catch FAR more intensive sonic things in the last couple years than in all my previous life, I think... and few of them are on labels, maybe are direct from the artists. I think that's a GREAT development! I don't care about what is "popular" 'cause that's a bent concept from the beginning that denies personal idiosyncracy...

And about that "hobby" term... it's a slippery one. I know of artists who have well-paying 'careers' recording and distributing their music (and it sucks), and I also know some who have little bits of time between raising families, working hard jobs that are not their choice, and who have minimal equipment (and their work is ELECTRIC!). the difference lies in the outcome, the personal enjoyment, and the possibility to perhaps share the results with ones immediate network... what could be better? a 20-year contract with Sony? no thanks... I re-quote something from Blake which has been on the front page of my web site since 1994 (because so far I have never seen any evidence to the contrary!) "Where any view of Money exists, Art cannot be carried on, but War only." -- William Blake

Having said all that, I can also say that I feel damn lucky to have walked out on a lucrative corporate career in taking Oil from other countries to pursue my own creative work which now includes teaching what I do as an artist, and I can live by that -- primarily because I have put a lot of energy into a large personal network which brings me all kinds of opportunities for exchange... I can't ask for more!

cheers
jh