[microsound] the great depression of experimental music?

(im posting this to the microsound list and the phonography list... as these are the two i find most productive...)

are we in the great depression of experimental music?

with sooo many distributors going out of business and cd sales falling for most of the artists i know,,, are we looking at something that could ever recover to the state it was..... mille plateaux went under,, and they were the closest thing to a major experimental label i can think off....

has the CDR killed experimental music labels? or is it the fact that now with the ease of writing music with software, that it takes so little time to get the same effect people spent months working to get with gear before this flood of bedroom composers hit the "market"?

and its not that im saying that people shouldnt be doing music if its there passion,, i just wonder about what factor convince has had on the experimental music community.... and the fact that most of the people that listen to experimental music are composers as well.... not alll... but most... do composers support other artists as much as people who are just fans of the music?

we all know that for most small labels there will be little or no profit when it comes to putting out an album or cd of contemporary music,,, but it seems to be getting harder and harder to break even..... and this can only mean one thing,,, people will just stop putting albums out...

could this end up causing a massive drought in the experimental music community... or will it mean that the only way to get new music is by downloading it,,,?

being a record collector for many,many years this would be tragic to me....

i know that we will all/most of us will continue to pursue our work in this field,, out of passion and interest,, but at what point to music careers became music hobbies?

what does everyone else think about this subject..?

j.frede
current location: los angeles