Re: [microsound] the great depression of experimental music?

Praemedia wrote:

Couple of problems with that. First being that you
contradict yourself. Music cannot be both 'available'
and 'ephemeral' in the long run. Talking over
generations here. If it is ephemeral and easily
disposable it is less likely to survive and therefore
eventually WON'T be available.

This goes for the vast bulk of music ever produced. Music is intrinsicly ephemeral - one has to go to some lengths (notation, then recording) to make a /representation/ of it available. So the ephemerality (?-nessnessness) isn't going anywhere, so to speak.

Music flourished quite happily prior to becoming archived by either notation or recording.

The second problem is that if music is left to be
'ephemeral' then we are doomed to make the same bad
music for the next thousand or so years as we'll have
no history to build from.

The fact that notation and recording allowed musical techniques that we wouldn't have otherwise have had available doesn't establish that the result is any 'better' than what would have been produced if something different had happened.

Part of progress is leaving
behind a residue called 'history' for people to
reference.

That, again, presuposses a value in modernity for its own sake.

'History' is embedded in our culture anyway, so music production will reflect it intrinsicly.

That said, I've got a massive record collection, and I'm pathetically and unashamedly attatched to it, and to the idea of it growing.