Sv: [microsound] OT: CDR sound quality

In my opinion one the effects of jitter is to make everything sound 'weak'.
I suggest you borrow a D/A with switchable correction and try this with your
own ears.

This effect (like other) can be related to the measurable problems jitter
cause in the typical D/A-stage.

That said, it should be noted that there is nothing inherent in CDR:s that
should make them worse than normal CD:s in this respect.

In the early days of CDR a few english audiophiles were amazed to find that
a CD copied to a CDR would sound better. And of course everyone laughed
since it seemed ridiculous that a digital copy would sound better or even
different.

What actually happened was that in the early days the CDR:s were
manufactured to very tight tolerance (balanced, centered and so on) and also
quite heavy and this all reduced jitter in the signal from the player to the
D/A.

Todays CDR are mainly sold on price and manufacturing is very sloppy. And
todays CDR:s sound much worse than they did in the late 80's. But try Taiyo
Yuden which do som nice CDR:s. And then there are the CDR:s manufactured for
archival purposes - I tried a few of those and they sounded more than o.k.
(but they are also expensive).

Sorry bout the techie content,
Jan L.