Re: [microsound] Richard Chartier in Seattle (better than Merzbow) ;-)

> as  a former long time seattle resident, you
> describe a consistent
> problem with the event goers there.

Well, the last thing I want to do is frighten sound
artists from visiting here. The biggest problem in
Chartier's case, was the venue. The event
coordinators should have found him an appropriate
venue to perform in or not invite him at all. There
have been plenty of performances here in Seattle that
have had attentive listening audiences. For heaven's
sake, it's all too simple. Don't have sound art
performances in a bar environment!

After the event, while outside, I talked to one guy
who acted like he had some kind of involvment with
the festival. I mentioned this issue and he said that
the closest venue that would bhave been more
appropriate for him would have been the Polestar Music
Gallery, but it would have been "too far away for
people to walk" from the main vicinity of the other
venues. Well, obviously he undermines the
intelligence of people who listen to Richard's work
because most of them, like me, only went to the event
to see Richard's performance in the first place. It
was an electronica festival, and using the
term "electronic" was misleading and too broad for the
small range of music that actually was presented.
Perhaps if they do this next year, they will correct
this or change that part of the name.

And perhaps someone here who knows any of the people
involved can pass this along to them, because I don't.

Best, Dale

=====