Re: [microsound] State of Music

I have tended to be a lurker here...but I'm going to try and inject myself into the discourse a bit more...

what "academic environment" is so "ridiculously out of touch" and in what way?

loops. remixing. resampling. waveforms. fastforward. rewind. pause.

the "street" use of computer music technology is the detritus of academic computer music research which itself is the detritus of military weapons research. I think its important to stand back and remember who is really driving the boat here.

while
i'm here, in this prison i pay for, They have to be made to feel insecure. to feel
out of touch. They have to be force fed funk.

For some of us, maybe it is not that we feel out of touch but that we don't want to be "force fed" anything. I think sometimes its important to step back from ones favored cultural perspective and try to see a broader picture. The argument can be made that all the micro-genres of electronica are just subsets of disco. And disco itself, as James Brown said is, "nothin but the end of the song...you know, the vamp."