Re: [microsound] podcasting/audioblogs/net.radio/p2p

Hi Brad,

a less technical and more philospohical answer, just to warn you ;-)

In devil's advocate brevity: how necessary is webstreaming anymore?

One thing that I saw as a possible advantage of "Podcastimg" over streaming is in some ways the compromise between the live and the archived. I can't remember the last time I sychronized my watch in order to catch a webstream live form some place or another, but I CAN count how many times I've looked back at my Inbox and gone "damn! I can't beleive I missed Patrick McGinley's show on Resonance (again and again and again and again...). In such a case, a podcast might be much more preferable to a live stream.

I also recall the days of doing net.radio in Prague, where the average nightly listenership was between 0 and 3, but we would get lots of people hitting the archives over the next week or so.

A "podcast" still has a "live" enough feel because you just found out about it, but you still don't need to be "right there" to catch it. The compromise of course is that with a "podcast" you don't have that possibility of live interaction via chat or simply by streaming/uploading something back to the sender to contribute in that moment.

I do wonder about the need for much of what is streamed live to really be live unless the "audience" can cease to be that and instead be participant. Without that "media without an audience" kind of feeling, most webstreams just imitate one-to-many broadcast-model media such as radio or TV. At their best, however, they might show an inimate connection between two people, such as Michael Mandiberg and Julia Steinmetz's INnetwork project:

http://turbulence.org/Works/innetwork

"I broadcast, therefore I am"
derek

{ brad brace } wrote:
1. Lovely!

2. Would it be possible to serve-up a variety of lengths for
   (somewhat random) podcasts from the mp3-stream? ie., the
   listener might choose between a number of buttons
   indicating the size of download 'for the moment.'

/:b