Re: [microsound] Laptop, etc as Performance device

Noel Peters wrote:

> Is this barrier simply a short term obstacle present until the audience
> is able to understand the performative language of the laptop?

No. There is no performative language of the laptop. Or more aptly, yes
there is a language, but it is only one syllable, and it is misspelled.
Unless someone does something performative, then there really is no
performance in practical terms. Laptop "performance" is boring period.
Just because someone gets up in front of people and does something on
their laptop does not mean that the entire history of the performing
arts should be re-calibrated to allow for that act to be "good
performance". It is a slap in the face to anyone who has honed those
performative skills. It is a slap in the face to the audience to blame
the lack of engagement in the performance on them (the audience). You
either have a good performance or you don't. That definition is broad,
and should be explored by anyone who wants to "perform" using a laptop.
The days of the novelty value of someone getting up in front of people
and doing something in real time on their laptop are gone. Good
riddance.

REZNIC9@xxxxxxx wrote:

  | A performance is about what is felt not what is seen.

This seems a very narrow definition of a performance. What if the
performance is explicitly related to the intermediality of audio and
video? I assume your statement is specific to the genre of audio you
are exploring, which is noise, but the concept of noise extends much
further than the audio realm. Perhaps an investigation into those areas
would be a way to expand the scope of that work, and to bring a much
broader field of view to the exploration of noise. Perhaps an
investigation into the modalities of performance would inform your
writing as well.

dev

CommTom
Communications of Tomorrow
"it's only a day away"

unique electronic music for the adventurous ear.

http://www.commtom.com