Re: [microsound] noise to signal (subjective...)

I live on the other side of the planet from every event on this list, so I find that information not that helpful. However I do look at webpages of events and try to follow up on the what & how.

  I enjoy reviews and feedback about events. Especially photos !
  and 'yes' these are very rare.

  I generaly check out alot of the links to music, radio shows etc.
  Audio content is something I enjoy, so I will make and effort to
  provide some feedback to to the list on what I listen to.

  /

  The local IDM scene only exist in my bedroom where I live, so the list
  is  my sense of reality that somewhere in the world people are listening
  and performing for each other.

  At least once a week the list provides me something interesting on
  the web to read about or research.

  I enjoy technical details of performance, and production.

  /

  I live in Queenstown, New Zealand

  .simon

Scott Carver wrote:
Community is great, and I think hearing about new releases/shows is an essential part of that. But on the flip side, when was the last time there was an in-depth, detailed, critical discussion of a new release or a show? This kind of thing /rarely/ happens... and without that kind of engagement with the works we're mentioning, .microsound seems to veer dangerously close to a genre list, a tool for following a scene. It's fine to post a playlist, I suppose, but how about posting a mix meant to educate/curate/provoke-discussion? If list members actually attend a show that's mentioned on the list, how about some commentary? Again, these kinds of discussions are disappointingly rare.

I'm not sure what the best strategies for focusing the list along these lines would be: indeed, maybe no one is interested in going in this direction at all. If not, I would be interested to hear what directions people /were/ interested in taking the list, if any at all.

- Scott Carver