Re: [microsound] time to kill

> does anyone know what algorithm they used to stretch that? it sounds
> amazing.
>
> > http://mrtg.planetmirror.com/pub/9beetstretch/

Leif Inge (the artist) presented the entire 24 hours at a special
sleep-over concert we did at my warehouse last year; it was quite a thing
to stay up to listen to the whole thing -- an experience that transcended
the pros and cons of any independent section taken on its own merits I
would say.

Theoretically the entire thing is going to be released by Table of the
Elements, but that was originally scheduled for last year. Who knows when
it will actualy come out. The plan was for it to be MP3s I believe; even
on DVD it is tiled on 4 or 5 disks at 16/44!

As I recall the algo for the timestretch was custom-coded in SND I think,
it wasn't an off-the-shelf existing tool. Listening to the attacks I was
pretty sure it was done basically by building a dense "wavefront" of
deeply layered regularly offset long samples with very long fades in/out.
I didn't get the impression it was actually doing any transient analysis,
so much of it is droney strings/winds etc. that that didn't matter though.
Leif didn't do the algo himself, he had a collaborator who helped him with
that aspect -- he's not a sound artist, he describes himself as an "idea
artist."

FWIW I made an impressionist radio piece about the experience/piece, which
I named "The Idea of Ninth"; if you go to:

 http://www.fieldeffects.org

and scroll down to "9 Beet Stretch" you will see links to two versions of
the piece, my original and the half-length version they actually had time
to air.

 best
  aaron

  ghede@xxxxxxxx