[microsound] Re: two very important questions

"...the desire to be different is little more than commonplace,
that the indie elite are more numerous than they would perhaps care to
think"

 in a modern world, in which food and shelter are commonplace to many,
individuals seek solace in individuality and uniqueness to obtain proof of
identity and self worth.

this regimental exercise, or, the need to stand out (closely related to
leadership), is constantly reevaluated and balanced with the innate need to
belong (or follow).

imo, music enables the individual/group, listener/broadcaster, to satisfy
these two conflicting needs almost simultaneously. ha.

> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
> To: microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: Renick Bell <the3rd2nd@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: re: two very important questions
>
> A short time googling nets these:
>
> "What is called music today is all too often only a disguise for the
monologue
> of power. However, and this is the supreme irony of it all, never before
have
> musicians tried so hard to communicate with their audience, and never
before
> has that communication been so deceiving. Music now seems hardly more than
> somewhat clumsy excuse for the self-glorification of musicians and the
growth
> of a new industrial sector."
>
>     * Jacques Attali Quoted in Classic Essays on Twentieth-Century Music,
ISBN