Re: [microsound] sonymash

On 12 Apr 2005, at 16:30, Mr.D wrote:

I have to agree here... mashups (in my mind at least) are really no different from any other sample-sourced music, they're just easier to recognize. ;)

I don't really understand how this has ended up here. What I meant in the original post was, are Sony implementing features in ACID that encourage mash-ups? Any article you read on mash-ups mentions ACID software and how these artists need to keep their identities covered like this one...

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/01/bootlegs/print.html

Like I also mentioned was the fact that many pop singles come with A capellas, so they might as well say on the cover "please add this vocal track to your favourite instrumental because bootlegs promotes our crap leftover pop in a cool and trendy context but we don't want to advertise this because we'd have to pay you etc". Funnily enough they are now supplying the tools to make the job easy as well. They are also hosting www.acidplanet.com where ACID users can upload the fruits of their labour so that Sony can then own them

http://www.acidplanet.com/corporate/termsofservice.asp?T=7944

I've no idea why they would want to own them but you can bet that the standard of music is not that different from the backing tracks of their current roster. So what's stopping them using this music for whatever purposes they can, after all, its was them who created the software that spawned its existence in the first place.

Achrid mp3's available at

www.achrid.com