Re: [microsound] live evil palindromic echo

I use Live 4.  I have a cheap plastic Evolution UC33 that I use, and I
have 8 Live channels with volume controlled by the 8 sliders, + 32 knobs
(and laptop keystrokes) to control built in and VST FX.  The program is
loaded up with around 120 ENTIRE SONGS (very few loops) beat matched,
including much original material.  I could also use all MIDI tracks and
do a truly "live" set if I wanted.  Using Live is kind of like DJing
with 8 beat matched (or not) turntables at once.

I used to use Acid but I don't remember it having functionality
anything like this.  Of course,what I do isn't really "live" as much as
it is digitally DJing, I do not bill myself as a "live" act if I am
performing this way, but as a laptop DJ.  I use Live primarily as a
replacement for vinyl.  It lets me be more creative and complex in the
collages that I create on the fly.

On the more microsound tip, I've done experimental things with Ableton
Live too, by just turning off the beat matching, using original source
material recordings, and using more esoteric effects, but I realize now
this can probably be done just as well with Audiomulch.  Although I will
note that the time stretch in Live can be used in unusual ways to
produce some interesting digital artifacts, if you purposely put markers
in the wrong places.

To bring it back on-topic a little, it seems unavoidable that there can
no longer be any discussions of technique that don't keep coming back to
tools and interfaces again and again.  Have we become obsessed with our
tools to the detriment of our aesthetics?  Is music making just
unthinkable now without reference to the specific tool which will be
used to carry out the musical ideas?

Instead of ignoring the damn fiddles like Beethoven, we spend most of
the time obsessing about them... ;)

~David

--Kim Cascone <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [050407 13:27]:
> >Well, I think this easily answered by the fact that Live was geared
> >towards performance, while Acid was not.
> in what way was Live geared towards performance and how was ACID not?

> please describe?

Because in acid you couldn't click a little button and then assign a
keyboard key or a MIDI controller to just about any control that
exists
in the interface.  Live makes it very easy to control what's coming
out
of your laptop without having to mouse around.