Re: [microsound] micro directional speakers

i saw the piece described in that article at the chicago cultural
center last year (maybe 2 years ago? - i can't recall).  it was a
pretty lovely piece, with recordings of people recounting dreams being
beamed down into small areas.  forcing the listener to stand in one
place to hear the work really - for me anyway - made one listen more
actively.

i have to say, though, there was much more sound leakage than the
article's "centimetre outside the target area."  i'm sure the
technology has been advanced since.

if i can offer this question in relation to this project, and maybe
let my ignorance show a bit - wasn't sound control/projection a really
big thing with those electroacoustic cats forty years ago?  like
xenakis?  did that thread just get dropped for awhile?  the article
mentions projects in the '80s, but i sure haven't heard much about it
(though in the '80s, my main interests were nintendo and BASIC).

best,
jake