Re: [microsound] process and preset [was: Re: [microsound] ovalprocess - Average laptop geek?]

Well there is a difference between the two. Using a patch Autechre made after it find its way to the public, just to sound like them is, or to reap the benefits of their work(effort/thought going into said patch) Is almost plagaristic in nature.

Using a synth preset is a totally different matter. To me its no different then playing a Les Paul then playing a Gib after wards. Their two instrument crafted by someone with love and passion, no different then the sound Engineer who works on a Nord Analogue synth or an software synth. To use that Synth in a composition as an instrument is no different to me then playing a guitar or piano.

One of the advantages of the computer is of course that it provides
the "Processors" with processors, which help them to explore and
experiment with these processes directly. This is different from just
building a guitar, as the guitar is more or less done, once you have
built it, you don't really create or modify a process if you built a
guitar.

True, and i agree but that is more of an example for a software patch, and not a preset for a Synth. A Synth is a finite instrument, just as a guitar is. Shure you can tweak and manipulate the Synth to no end, as you could a guitar, or piano. Just look at alternative tuning, expirmental tuning and physical manipulations, or John Cage! But it is limited by a set of paramaters. Its hardware/code predicates how it will sound. Thats why there are such things as classic Synths that have their own distinc sound, much as any classic guitar/piano/violin would, instrument for that matter.

You might want to think again about the part of not creating a process if you build a guitar, especially an electric guitar. The basic principle of tones and pitch in building a guitar, as well as the hardware and equipment you use with it, is not that far off from the same things you have to consider when building a synth. there are definite process there, that why any non cheap guitars have their own distinct sound. Its moot though as it doesnt detract from your main point just got me think, interesting actually...

As i read your classification of Computer/experimental/analogue/musicians(!) it struck me that the artist's i seem to enjoy most are the ones who are both "preseter" and "Processor" Anyone who can fuse the two together always seem to get high marks in my book.

And yes i think the entire world is/was created by running processes, fate has nothing to do with it! I have read that mass amount of information(Static if you will) tend to organize themselves in the most efficient of manners. One has only to look to nature to see evidence of this. Or pick up some book on Chaos theory, superb stuff.

aLEKs