Re: [microsound] process [was :new autechre]

christos wrote:
process is not always a way to escape the
commodification (?) of works
of music, as Jeff suggests.

commodification is first a process of the mind, a
decision, discrimination, about quality solely in
terms of marketability. can this be pulverized, is my
question. today, even improvisation can be produced
into a marketable format. i think that people who are
interested in cage's ideas are also interested in his
music and that the ideas often surpass our
expectations we have of his music and his music
('result') often surpassed our expectations of his
compositional idea. to return to andrew for a moment,
was it not that the methods of cage, xenakis and so
many others developed as a way to permit randomness a
place in composition? and this a parallel to the
reassement (against the then prevailing rationalist
traditions) that there are patterns in randomness.
there seems to be implicit in this view an expansion
in the consciousness of the possible ordering
principles at work in the universe. an excitement that
went hand in hand perhaps with the theoretical physics
(which is a metaphorical base that funds this very
discussion group,i think) of the time where a new more
decentralized paradigm was developing for any
analysis. to bring it back to where it hits me in my
own thinking/practice--to introduce the concept (from
shlovsky is it?) of defamiliarization: that a work is
effective as a catalyst for
spiritual/intellectual/soicial reflections and actions
in reaction to the former. how can composition be a
defamiliarizing--strange, new, confusing, provocative
etc.--act if the piece is always the same each time it
is rendered? indeterminacy was the road leading
towards a continual adjustment of methods that could
achieve this defamiliarizing end. i became interested
in composition when i suddenly realized that all the
machines that (literally and metaphorically) i had
been putting together were always leading me to make
further adjustments for the unpredicatble. precisley
where composition as i had understood it became
pulverized...

i will leave it dangling this way...

(and i'm sorry if i have misunderstood in my trying to
keep it brief (still have nagging bronchitis and bags
to pack for a gig trip)

thanks for the discussions, as always, jeff gburek
www.djalma.com

Yahoo! Mail