RE: [microsound] process [was :new autechre]

From: vze26m98 [mailto:vze26m98@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Well, more Varga interview:
>
> "The composers [meaning the Darmstadt crowd] thought they
> were orthodox serialists but that was only true on paper. In
> reality they had mass events which they should have listened
> to in an unbiased manner. On the level of conscious thinking
> they should have introduced such notions as average density,
> average duration, colours and so on. I tried to point that
> out in my article [the Gravesaner Blatter essay previously noted].
> All that, however, would have led to a radical way of
> thinking which could result in only one thing: instead of
> serial music, stochastic music, probabilities."

Yes, I have that book (bought it sometime in 1997).  However, it needs to be
brought to the fore that the article was written in 1955 as a reaction to
the integral serialism movement, and as such became outdated almost
immediately: the Darmstadt crowd had already abandoned integral serialism or
would do so shortly after, evolving the more permissive idiom of regular
serialism in a more plastic approach.

But yes, the quote perfectly illustrates how Xenakis approached the
phenomenon from a higher level (as in thermodynamics vs absolute
determinism).

//p
http://www.interdisciplina.org/00.0/