Re: [microsound] OT? Modified Photos = ON TOPIC

i agree with graham.
makes it more real less heady.
----- Original Message ----- From: "graham miller" <grahammiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:01 AM
Subject: [microsound] OT? Modified Photos = ON TOPIC

THIS is EXACTLY the kind of links that people should be allowed to post here,
regardless of list.

is is NOT necessarily self-promotion but rather a POTENTIAL BASIS for the
kind(s) of philosophical discussions on music and microsound culture that are
supposedly supposed to happen here.

how is anyone supposed to discuss anything unless there is some kind of FIRST
CAUSE, whether that's a post, a picture or a piece?

trying to make it to a gig halfway around the world is one thing...

but i'm all for artists posting links to their work...

otherwise, you end up with endless debates as to the conversational power of a
stoplight...

i USED to actually find out information here. and links would generate
discussion. whether it was an article, a MAX/MSP patch, a new label or piece
of software, sounds from space, MP3s, AIFFs, WAVs, MPEGS, WMVs... i mean,
honestly, what the hell does twiki have to do with anything music? i don't
even know what a twiki is, but i'm pretty sure they'd be happier in the wild
and not in a cage.

this whole no links bullshit (for fear of being BANNED to the furthest reaches
of the internet) seems to prioritize the written word, online reading lists, or
ink and paper, as the first cause from which discussion is to stem... so
fucking university, it's makes me sick. let's get into actual art itself as
the basis for discussion... NOT what's been written about it... i have to deal
with that kind of intellectually removed bullshit on a daily basis elsewhere...

with these kinds of global online groups there's the potential to engage music,
musicians and artist on a GRASSROOTS level... you get the benefit by BYPASSING
the record label filters, the publishing company filters, the 'taste' filters,
and go straight to the source and dialogue directly with the artists
themselves... why aren't we talking advantage of that? why do you think all the
musician have left here?

why can't people talk about their own work? WTF? it's hard enough for our kind
of music to get any kind of recognition as it is...

i for one would love to have people like twerk, sutekh, deadbeat back here... i
can even deal with taylor dupree's spacebar static just to make everyone happy.

i highly doubt john cage is going to post anything here anytime soon... or
xenakis or even fucking curtis roads for that matter... let's deal with the
artists that are:

A) alive

B) online

C) post here

to be honest, the kind of draconian enforcement of some kind ambiguous
manifesto drafted to serve the intents of a handful of people (which only post
on microsound to remind people NOT to post on microsound) has driven away
contribution, NOT encouraged it. meanwhile it seems fine to have a signature
file with a dozen hyperlinks... i have no problem with that and i personally
check out everybody's work and find it a great source of encouragement and
inspiration.

anyway, this has been bugging me for a while and i'd hate to see a new poster
chastised for contributing links to their work...

i've kept every single microsound post on my computer for the past four years
or whatever i've been here... there is definitely a difference and i hardly
think the solution is have less posts rather than more...

art and artists come first. theory comes later. discussion comes later. that's
the way it's always been.

let's see more links. and then let's talk about them? cool? cool.

graham.

Joseph Scott wrote:

I have posted some digital photos that I modified using basic techniques in
free photo editing software. The photos often resemble visual equivalents of
microsound works, hence me posting the link here:

http://pub48.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?usernum=4063395084

If other people on this list are also involved with innovative visual art
and have works online, please post links on the list or offlist to me.