Re: [microsound] hotline server?

On Jun 13, 2005, at 2:48 AM, Julian Knowles wrote:

The forum would require a web browser... thus I was counting up three separate software apps that you (and all other collaborators) would need to be running in order to have about a quarter of the functionality that you'd get in something like KDX or indeed Hotline. 1) FTP = FTP client, 2) IRC = IRC client, 3) Forum = Web browser.

I said "and a forum perhaps". I was assuming we'd not need it.

It's not practical and its too clumsy. This is why people design collaborative environments.

I do not see how FTP + IRC is too clumsy, but you're entitled to your opinion.

The former speaks for itself.

The sentiment does, but the grounds on which you have made such an assessment do not. I would expect such a damning statement to be based on some specific criticisms of its performance.

I have found it to be fast, very low on CPU.bandwidth, extremely stable (not one crash). It just works. Given the amount of labour involved, I don't think $30 is an unreasonable shareware fee. Having dinner out can cost you more....

No no no. It has nothing to do with its performance. It is just *hideously ugly* as I said, crapping all over established interface conventions. And yes, $30 is a lot to spend if I'd only be using it for .microsound. That is a prohibitive cost for people who aren't using KDX otherwise. It's also $30 more than I care to give to anyone I don't particularly like.

I'd also be more than happy to set up a forum.

Which, to be honest, is not much of an advance on a mailing list, other than it is threaded from the outset (although lately i've been trying gmail to see if it can help tame my list mail).

Oddly enough though, I do find that they allow for communities with much more depth. That has been my experience at least.

Time for me morning coffee. :-)

- John