Re: [microsound] Re: microsound Digest 3 Jun 2005 16:58:56 -0000 Issue 1425

Does one need to be a trained musician to appreciate Stockhausen? To listen to his music?

What a pompous statement! Like music is some kind of higher learning, Something that only the elite can grasp.

Most Music is predicated by a set of rules, learning music theory does not make one a great musician. Talent and thought process/attitude is just as important.

Also What about all the great self taught musicians? Blues anyone? Jazz? Many of the greats were self taught, and the blazed a path of innovation, as opposed to following the rut that academia aften throws the creative sole into.

Dont get me wrong, i have respect for the man, just such a pompous statement requires a commentary...erm.. of sorts...

aLEKs