Re: [microsound] podcasting site?

On 20/07/05 13:31, nathan c. dickerson said in living color:

> Look at the format of a podcast RSS feed and you will find the following tags:
>
> <itunes:explicit></itunes:explicit>
> <itunes:author></itunes:author>
> <itunes:summary></itunes:summary>

Yes, I know about these. But it's not "the format of a podcast feed". It's
the extensions Apple wants you to use if you wish to list your podcasts in
their directory.

> This technology existed before itunes. There is no reason to name tags
> this way in any kind of open standard.
>
> Apple created a stylized version of a product that already existed;
> Understood the trend of content syndication, exploited it, and
> produced a defacto standard, which they now control.
>
> Even the RSS community has a problem with this -- Apple didn't even
> consult the RSS community about format standards.

True -- albeit most of the reports focus on the technical side.

I understand and share to some degree your concerns about the metadata tags
Apple introduced.

For other readers who would like to read a roundup of the situation, consult
this: <http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/07/itunesextensions/index.php>

Some other views on the extension tags:
<http://www.reallysimplesyndication.com/2005/06/28>
<http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/contents/2005/06/28-rss-apple-itunes/read>
<http://www.podcastingnews.com/archives/2005/06/apples_rss_exte_1.html>

And here's a good general article about the Podcast support in iTunes 4.9:
<http://daringfireball.net/2005/07/podcast_pocket>

I definitely believe Apple could have handled things better. They made some
bad/questionable choices and did not consult the community in a rush to
launch their podcast support.

Some would also be compelled to say that Apple is a giant, especially in
this field, and that it has now taken a position from which it can dictate
the evolution of a once open technology.

On this, a quote found on the daringfireball page (mentioned above):

"Apple is an 800-lb. gorilla in this space (at least until Microsoft
releases an RSS-enabled IE in Longhorn). iTunes is to podcasting as Internet
Explorer is to HTML. RSS  interoperability, at least as far as podcasting
goes, now means ³works with iTunes.² Thousands of people and companies will
begin making podcasts that ³work with iTunes,² but unintentionally rely on
iTunes quirks (e.g. Disney¹s incorrect namespace). This in turn will affect
every developer who wants to consume RSS feeds, and who will be required to
emulate all the quirks of iTunes to remain competitive."

However, this presumes that the podcaster has the desire to "remain
competitive", i.e., be listed in Apple's directory, thus conforming to
Apple's desires. *This is in no way a necessity.*

(And in the same manner that people make web pages that adhere to standards,
*not* to IE's quirks, people will continue to make podcasts that adhere to
RSS standards, without embracing Apple's additions.)

> Upon hearing 'podcast', 'ipod' immediatly comes to mind. This is wrong
> for any kind of open standard -- this is associative trademark
> branding!

Now onto the issue of the term "podcast".

Apple didn't introduce this term -- the community who created this
communication vehicle is responsible for that. Of course, Apple were more
than glad to embrace it (and by "glad", I mean "ecstatic, positively
giddy").

The attachment of a brand name also bothers me. But I must admit the name
has good phonetic properties -- "podcast" does roll off the tongue better
than "blogcast" (the succession of "g" and "c" is unpalatable) and
"audioblog"...

> This is Apples game -- Apple's habits of branding in public spaces
> (renting/buying ALL the advertising space in transportation hubs such
> as subways and public transit systems) and virtual spaces is
> unethical.

Unethical? I don't know... The ethics of capitalism, which govern our world
whether we like it or not, certainly allow -- if not encourage -- this kind
of practice.

g.

--
Guillaume Grenier - grenier.g@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."

(Dwight Eisenhower)