Re: [microsound] London project

Zander.Nord wrote:

In Iraq it is "just happened" every day. A connection on only one side does not lead anywhere or communicate anything.

Why not attempt a real healing connection, do a combined London- Fallujah-Madrid-Baghdad project.

Or does that feel like a threatening and dangerous proposal?

the connection would be at the level of expressing disgust at the reduction of the human being to an expendable unit.

maybe also at the absolutely basic level of pain and death as universal experiences.

but i'm afraid that we might be lead by virtuous feelings to believe that we are "connecting" when in fact we aren't.

i say that from the perspective of working precisely in the context of cultural projects that seek to make connections amongst peoples of the middle east, north africa and southern europe.

i don't think that in the north - west we have ever really tried to understand the view point of these regions: precarious economic situation, very limited space for what we understand as civil society to express itself in, a feeling of frequent humiliation and anger at double standards applied by the west etc etc. and that's in peaceful countries. i don't think i can possibly claim to connect (other than in sympathy) with gaza or fallujah.

maybe that's why you're right that it is in effect a threatening proposal.

[i trust that i don't need to add that i am revolted by what happened in london {and madrid, and new york}...but i guess i just did..]

cc