Re: [microsound] Are all electronic music related writers bad writers?

The number one thing I see is convoluted run-ons full of 88%
adjectives, among other things.

I'm writing about music for about 10 years now (in Hungarian, so you can't check:)), and I think it's pretty hard to avoid using lots of adjectives - all you can do is try to replace some of them by verbs.

I think the main point is that even if music is something that is happening in time (so verbs would be adecvate for this), when you describe music, you approach it as a whole, as an entity. And you have only a few subjects (describable with nouns: album, song, track, intro, arrangement, feeling, processes etc) to describe which you can do most easily with adjectives.
And an other thing (from a linguistic point of view): reviewers try to avoid being "too" subjective - you can describe your subjective experience with verbs (what is _happening_ to you listening to this piece of music), but reviewers seem to feel that this kind of writing has an atmosphere of more than enough subjectivity.

Anybody care to wager a guess why it's all so embarrassingly poor?

I have to tell I enjoy a lot of stuff I read, about half of each month's Wire and lots of reviews on the internet.

r.a

--
http://ra.underground.hu/