Re: [microsound] for the 21st century audiophile who is missing but one thing....

Well, thinking of production tools as instruments leads to musicians
like Sam Beam, who's first Iron & Wine album was recorded to 4-track,
and has a great lo-fi warmth to it.  It's the same as with analogue
synths or tube amps.  I'd love to actually record to wax cylinder
myself.

~Kyle

On 10/20/05, W.C Schrimshaw <W.C.Schrimshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> yeah, i love the sound too,
>
> there is just something bizarre and very intriguing about simulating fault.
>
> the 'authentic' part is what i find particularly weird with regard to this
> specific softwear. in what sense can it be seen as authentic? weird.
>

> > personally i found this great! i was just about to write a quick program
> > to randomly loop a variety of self-sampled vinyl scratches/glitches to
> > layer below an ambient piece I've been working on. there's no way I can
> > afford to press a record myself, and this seems way more extensive.
> >
> > there's something about the white-noise clicks and pops that really adds
> > to some audio art. I wouldn't listen to the Beatles without it, Autechre
> > insist on it ("incomplete without surface noise" is written on one of
> > their cd's I have), and it really does help create a mood for the type
> > of music I enjoy making. for lowercase/minimal sound it just seems
> > natural.
> >
> > i can't explain the desire for vinyl degradation in the greater context
> > of digital music, presuming there is some linear progression or
> > digression where this plays into a passing current. the blend of
> > high-digital art with low-fi warmth just sounds like good chemistry ; )

http://perhapsidid.blogspot.com