Re: [microsound] Derivative Music

mat.the.w wrote:

I will be the first to admit love for Paul D Miller, but am completely
confused by the presense of his own line of musical history, shared with
RZA?

I find his writings "interesting".  He played here as a DJ/artist
in Halifax a couple of years back, so I checked him out with
my girlfriend (now wife) and we tried really hard to understand
what he was doing and appreciate it, but it just didn't happen
for us.  I do experimental music myself, so I figured I knew
a bit, but what he did seemed, at least from our vantage point,
like a DJ playing two records at the same time and doing so
in a sonically-very-displeasing way!  Perhaps he is no longer
doing this? Andrew

On 2/23/06 3:41 AM, "Terence Caulkins" <Terence.Caulkins@xxxxxxxx> scribed:

Hello everyone,

On the subject of musical derivatives the following diagram of
the London Underground is interesting (hopefully no one has posted
it yet) :
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2006/02/02/undergroun
d5.pdf

The following article talks about the making of the diagram :
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/02/03/going_undergrou
nd.html

-Terence

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:21:34 +0100 To: microsound <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> From: Risonanza Magnetica - S <s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [microsound] Derivative Music Message-Id: <D085C0E2-FAD8-42CD-B33E-C48BB269917E@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi everybody,

I'd like to suggest you what do you think about the concept of =20
"derivative music".
I'm considering this in the field of post-punk, specifically referred =20=

to the the post-punk scene in Sao Paulo, Brasil, during the eighties, =20=

as "derivative" of No Wave scene in New York.

This concept should be valid also for a bigger part of electronic =20
music field, i'd like to know if someone knows about a specific study =20=

on this=85

Thanks,
Simone B

-- Andrew Duke scoring/sound design/source http://andrew-duke.com Cognition Audioworks label [Andrew Duke, Foal, Clinker, Granny'Ark] http://cognitionaudioworks.com