Re: [microsound] visual artists

Well, perhaps it is also possible we are both correct, because I would
suggest that the political atmosphere changed substantially from 1971 to
1993 when I went to school, to become much more conservative.

But, of course this is also going to be different from university to
university; perhaps I simply had the misortune of being at the wrong
place.

Also, don't get me wrong, my COMPOSITION teacher was very supportive
(although somewhat old fashioned in some of his ideas; i.e. he thought
music needed "development" in the traditional western sense, as opposed to
static, non-western, or alternative forms). But amongst all the musicians,
orchestral, piano players, singers, and jazz musicians, the ideas about
music were overwhelmingly conservative, and those ideas were basically
reinforced. At the time I was really working a lot from the free jazz/free
improv tradition, and as I recall, that was especially incomprehensible /
unmusicial to a lot of people.

Also, I'm really referring to average WORKING musicians, in or out of
academia, who play instruments for a living. There's always a minority
with a totally different viewpoint but by and large there's a pretty
consistent idea on what music is. I say this having played piano on cruise
ships for a couple of years! Usually when I meet artists or students who
want to become artists, they seem much more interested in exploring and
experimenting.

However, I have to grant that all this is very personally biased, since
the art community has turned out to be much more interested in /
supportive of my work than the traditional music community, I feel more in
tune with them naturally.

~David