Re: [microsound] striated and smooth (was: music is the ultimate incorruptible)

On 3/17/06 11:04 AM, "\js" <js0000@xxxxxxxxx> scribed:

> and although many have poo-poo-ed the equation of cage's music with
> schoenberg, i think there is a similarity there. you just have to find
> the right perspective to see it.

I would agree with this, though depending entirely on which Cage piece and
not so much which Schoenberg piece.

> i think the comparison is very instructive. taking the music from
> these two- seemingly so opposite, but actually very connected to each
> other in many ways [not the least of which is that they lived in the
> same mileu for a time].

Yeah, you were either in the Schoenberg camp, or you were in the Stravinsky
camp. I think the musical relationship between the works of Cage and
Schoenberg is mutable depending on what year of Cage's output you're
comparing. Schoenberg's music is more obviously developed from his
technique, whereas Cage completely switched techniques, and back again, over
and over.

As D&G might put it, I would view Cage as smooth and Schoenberg as striated!

> where cage went further is that he embraced zen! they won't teach that
> in music school, but his exposure to suzuki had a profound impact in
> the way he made music and lived his life.

They do teach that in music school, cause that's where I learned it! :) In
fact the guy who taught Cage where I was in school did his dissertation on
that period of Cage's life, and did a study "decoding the catchphrases" that
are associated. Suzuki of course is included, but there's a lot more there
than just Cage getting into taoism and zen (even maoism at one point).

//\