Re: [microsound] music is the ultimate incorruptible

I'd like to point out that Cage's compositional technique is just as precise
and controlled as Schoenbergs, if not more. I also wouldn't agree that Cage
sounds anything remotely like Schoenberg.

Cage held Schoenberg in very high esteem, and was a big proponent of
Schoenberg's move towards structuring music outside of the parameters of
harmonic and melodic control. Where Cage went further (and where he
critisized Schoenberg) was to bring it outside of rhythmic control as well.

That article sounds like it's based on a half-baked and not well researched
assumption. :(

On 3/16/06 2:50 PM, "jeff gburek" <tsazmaniac@xxxxxxxxx> scribed: