AW: [microsound] american female exp. composers

dkl37@xxxxxxxx wrote amongst others...

Maryanne Amacher

I found her music very amazing. On her piece "head rhythm" she uses this
technique she  calls "third ear", some psychoacoustic tricks that makes
the music seem to sound "loud within your head" when listening at the
proper point of the stereo field... it made me feel quite dizzy after
listening...

From:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/amacher_maryanne/sound-ch
aracters.shtml

"Sound Characters contains excerpts from some of Amacher's installations
as well as pieces composed specifically for the album. Three tracks
explore what Amacher calls "third ear music," wherein high-pitched tones
are structured to resonate inside the listener's skull so that the
person's inner ear vibrates, creating "new" music distinct from that
emanating from the speakers. Sound crazy? I was skeptical, too, but if
you crank up "Head Rhythm 1" loud enough, there's no denying that
something is going on. As oddly arranged sine-wave tones in the 2,000 Hz
range bounce between the speakers, your ears start to itch, you begin to
feel funny, and it becomes unclear exactly where the music is coming
from. The effect supposedly works best at high volume, but I was unable
to test this due to the whimpers of my poor cat, Otis. He wasn't digging
"Head Rhythm 1" at all, and I gave in to his cries."

....oh, and please don't forget mentioning Bebe Barron!

oliver

°~°
love me for my weirdness, or leave me for your boredom

http://www.tomoroh.com/
>Music<
~°~