Re: [microsound] an age of immaterial reproduction

There are certainly those who make music and are happy with the
circumstances surrounding their creation. I think it's difficult to smooth
the face of capitalism to where everybody has the objective ability
distinguish between that which drives them and that which they drive.

Is this a destructive state? That depends. On the development of personal
enjoyment for those who pratice music, regardless of the style or genre?
Probably not, since that's a healthy self-fulfilling and heavily social
aspect of it.

Where I think the danger area lies, and where jeff's comment is related, is
whether the development of music is hindered by the introduction of
non-musical (perhaps anti-intuitive, or even destructive) motivation or
influence.

I'm all for people fulfilling their dreams by auditioning on American Idol.
But at the same time, the destitute capital appropriation of someone like
William Hung sickens me.

So where does the hinge fit? Musicians have every right to propser by way of
their craft. Some may find it's the only thing they can do well, so why not?
Surely there can be a beneficial mixing of the two.

What worries me is that today's technological advances in music often
preclude capital to even exist. For this reason, I cry with jeff!

On 3/8/06 6:54 AM, "dkl37@xxxxxxxx" <dkl37@xxxxxxxx> scribed: