Re: [microsound] Physical Media - Discussion

This brings up some interesting issues. We all know that format differences (cd/mp3/vinyl/tape/etc) have some audible differences, but it's struck me that the /perceived/ differences between the sounds of each format are much greater than their /actual/ differences. The differences people report between vinyl, cd, etc don't seem to be explainable purely by the actual sonic differences between recordings in each format. This seems to be a case where our cultural baggage about a particular format has a significant impact on our "raw" subjective experience of it. Our knowledge of the "cold hard" differences between the formats, our individual personal histories with them (longtime dj versus napster cowboy), tactile differences, etc, all seem to play into this. It makes me wonder, for starters, if we, as artists/label owners/dj's should be doing more to take advantage of this sort of effect, by presenting works on hybrid/ mutant formats, or breeding novel formats with different sets of associations and histories altogether. I realize that there are people out there doing this sort of thing, to a limited degree. But it would be interesting to see a more comprehensive attack, more wild experimentation, etc, in this area. Any thoughts?

- Scott Carver