Re: [microsound] re: Help for the beginner and Hello's

Quoting ???????? <ndkent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

If anyone knows of a good book or magazine for mixing theory please  let
me know. I know how do do things and what gear to use to do it, but I
am curious about techniques for, say, highlighting a vocal or
instrument and giving it "room" amongst all the other instruments so
that things do not sound muddy.

http://www.soundonsound.com/
tends to have good articles, their last decade or so is online and searchable though you need a subscription to read any article published in the last 6 months (older requires no subscription or registration), it's excellent because they have one foot in the commercial music door yet their readership is all electronic music makers.

Cool! Thanks! I'l check it out.

As to my take on your issue.

Finally there's something that's done a lot in commercial voiceover work though not so much in music, called ducking. You need to have an ability to sidechain in your software or hardware, it's not universally found. You would be applying the smoothed out dynamic info from your main track to inversely reduce the amplitude of other track(s). Generally the manual will tell you about it if you have it.

I guess I do ducking all the time in PD but I never knew the term for it. Also my software compressor does that too.
I guess I knew all of the stuff you mentioned, though you stated it much more elequently then it looks in my head. Despite me knowing the facts your arrangement of thoes facts makes mixing a bit clearer now. Thanks!

Remember that you are most likely doing your own arrangement. And for a bit of a lecture, something that separates a good arranger from a not so good one is the ability to put together sounds that work together. There is a tendency to want to fix things in the mix but if you can work your elements in the first place so you don't need any sort of "fix" later then it's so much the better. Certain sounds do wind up fighting or getting in the way. Maybe it's sometimes best to replace one or more.

I always have the mindset that anything can be fixed in the mix (and in the software), and you are right, life is SO much easier when the pieces are good to start with.

Thanks Nicholas!

nicholas d. kent
http://technopop.info/ndkent/