[microsound] Re: Archos 402 + SP-PREAMP-4 -- initial impressions

Rob D said:

Rane Note 148 Chart 3 is terrific for such
computations: http://www.rane.com/note148.html
The noise from the mic pre needs to be about 7-10
dB less than the figure produced with the dBA and
mv/Pa specs from the mics.
wow! thanks so much for this...you are an incredible resource, thank you for sharing your knowledge with the list! :)

- how do I use a self-powered electret (like a
Sony ECM-737 stereo mic) with a preamp that
provides 'plug-in power' like the SP-PREAMP-4?
is there a DC blocking adapter/cable for this
purpose?

If the ECM is self powered, you should be good to=20
go. Neither the mic nor the PIP-supplying-pre=20
will be adversely affected.
which is strange because when I first tried my Sony ECM with the SP- PREAMP-4 I got a low-freq 'motor-boating' type sound; the kind you get when riding an audio signal on top of a lot of DC, i.e., oscillation slamming against the rails...so I am not sure whether my mic was in need of repair to start with (had been sitting in storage for a couple of years) or plugging it into the PIP had damaged it in some way (doubtful)...I have also tried the ECM in my iMic connected to Peak on my iBook and I get some signal but it's distorted so it might just be my mic is faulty...

Its fairly unlikely that any of the cheaper outboard mic
preamps one comes across will match the noise and gain performance of
the mic preamp in the HiMD recorders.

yes this may be true but I'm fairly certain the=20
SP-PREAMP-4 would match/exceed most HiMD pre's...

With a rating of -115 dBu EIN for the SP-PREAMP-4, I'd have to let my money ride on the HiMD mic pre if we were to do a side by side comparison at full gain. The HiMD also has a lot of gain, more than a SD 722.

For some, wondrous, reason, the mic pres in the
lowly HiMD's have much better low noise and gain
performance than anyone would have guessed.
this is very interesting and I would never had guessed that HiMD's had such nice pre's! the only problem for me is the medium of mini- disc...I swore to never using anything with moving parts again (yes, I know the Archos uses a hard drive which invalidates my argument ;) after years of DAT foul-ups and eaten tapes...so I was looking for something that was stealth, small, quiet, high quality and wouldn't break the bank...and the Archos SP preamp combo seemed like a good choice...and I have been pleased with the results so far...

One
just needs a portable phantom supply to enable
low noise condenser mics in order to enjoy the
ride. Here's the comparison with a SD722 I keep
posting and posting and posting (sorry):
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/ MicroTrack_NH900_722Compare2.mov
no apologies needed...I appreciate - and need - a redundancy of information :)
the 722 is known to have crap pre's and was one of the reasons I decided against buying it for a portable recording kit...but your comparison really drives home that point...nice!

the Sures WL-183's are rated at ~ 22.5dBA which=20
even beats the $1000 DPA 4060 capsules by 0.5=20
dBA and are quite a bit cheaper...thanks for the=20
tip!

Yes, they're becoming quite popular. I've never has a chance to compare the 1060's and the 183's. Thanks goes to Dan Dugan for the 183 discovery. Apparently Sound Professionals used to package the 183's several years ago. They can be easily wired for PIP: http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/ShureWR-183WiringNoTA4M's.jpg They do "bottom out" with loud sounds (e.g.over 110dB) when used with Sony HiMD's. Might be because Sony HiMD PIP is only .42 volts under load, but I don't think anyone has nailed the reason yet.
good to know...most of the electrets seem to brickwall at ~ 110 dB SPL though...

Klas Stranberg makes a some slightly
larger electrets based on the Primo EM-23
the FR on these looks a little bumpy at around 10kHz...how do they sound?

capsules which he says have a self noise ~14dBA
but he gets a few hundred more for them than the
183's.
I think I'm going to try the 183's and am glad to hear that I don't need to do any extensive mod's to the preamp...

also thanks to Aaron for the info on 183's as well...do you have a email for Dan Dugan?