[microsound] Re: Archos 402 + SP-PREAMP-4 -- initial impressions

At 10:46 AM -0700 4/5/06, Kim Cascone wrote:
Rob D said:
If the ECM is self powered, you should be good to=20
go. Neither the mic nor the PIP-supplying-pre=20
will be adversely affected.
which is strange because when I first tried my Sony ECM with the SP-PREAMP-4 I got a low-freq 'motor-boating' type sound; the kind you get when riding an audio signal on top of a lot of DC, i.e., oscillation slamming against the rails...so I am not sure whether my mic was in need of repair to start with (had been sitting in storage for a couple of years) or plugging it into the PIP had damaged it in some way (doubtful)...I have also tried the ECM in my iMic connected to Peak on my iBook and I get some signal but it's distorted so it might just be my mic is faulty...

Try the mics on working PIP first? If they work maybe something unusual with the SP-PREAMP-4? If you need to, yes! 10-100uF capactitors in-line, try lower first.

For some, wondrous, reason, the mic pres in the lowly HiMD's have much better low noise and gain performance than anyone would have guessed.
this is very interesting and I would never had guessed that HiMD's had such nice pre's! the only problem for me is the medium of mini-disc...I swore to never using anything with moving parts again (yes, I know the Archos uses a hard drive which invalidates my argument ;) after years of DAT foul-ups and eaten tapes...so I was looking for something that was stealth, small, quiet, high quality and wouldn't break the bank...and the Archos SP preamp combo seemed like a good choice...and I have been pleased with the results so far...

The Archos is a fun tool, for sure.

Of course, MD/HiMD and DAT are not in the world in terms of unreliability. HiMD is very small, the disk sounds can be silenced with a layer of leather or thick canvas, it has usb uploading, records uncompresssed 16.44.1K and in HiSp mode can record for 8 hours on one $5, reusable disk (ATRAC3 quality). The cheapest model recorder costs $165, the newest one is $300. The phantom supply for condenser mics cost $45-$70. With such a great pre with very high gain, I'm very happy to accommodate the other inconveniences and buy two!

One just needs a portable phantom supply to enable
low noise condenser mics in order to enjoy the
ride.  Here's the comparison with a SD722 I keep
posting and posting and posting (sorry):
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/MicroTrack_NH900_722Compare2.mov
no apologies needed...I appreciate - and need - a redundancy of information :)
the 722 is known to have crap pre's

I've not run across this claim yet. Compared to what? Where did you come across this?

..
Thanks goes to Dan Dugan for the Shure WL- 183 discovery.
Apparently Sound Professionals used to package
the 183's several years ago.  They can be easily wired for PIP:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/ShureWR-183WiringNoTA4M's.jpg

<snip>

I think I'm going to try the 183's and am glad to hear that I don't need to do any extensive mod's to the preamp...

Its pretty straight-forward to snip off the TAF4's and solder the leads into 3.5 stereo mini for PIP mic inputs. Doesn't your SP-PREAMP-4 supply PIP? Dan's email sent to you off-list. Rob D.