Re: [microsound] Relevance returns?

Hi Jason,

As Kevin said, our actions and objects can't practically be separated from their context or consequences. For example, no-one now would argue that car use is neutral - in fact, regardless of /why/ one's using it it always has a negative consequence, particularly if you're unlucky enough to live near a major road. There's no way of using a car as a mode of transport that gets around this - it's designed in.

Design decisions impose a limited range of possible actions with a device, and as those limits reflect choice they are value laden. The range of manoeuvre, limited though it may be, by and large goes beyond the device's intended function, so it is possible to subvert them.

Determinism isn't in the belief of a /possibility/ of progress, it's in the belief of the certainty of progress, and hence that any technological change must represent this progress; if you agree that this isn't the case, then it follows that technological design is value laden.

--
Owen

Jason Hollis wrote:
I feel all of what you're saying, and appreciate greatly that someone managed to work some _civility and relevance_ back into the thread.

But I still fail to see how 'a tool is a tool' is anything but a purely experimental expression -
If you have an (x) and it suits your purposes, use it how you see fit, hopefully to the benefit of all.

We don't have the biggest claws or teeth or armor plating..
We are tool using primates that use our minds and our technology to survive and thrive, be it bone flutes or supercomputers.
Just how it is.

And whether it be good or bad is all in the choices we make with what we have.
If that's determinism, believing in the possibility of progress... Determinism it is, I guess.